There are over 160,000 professionals working as receptionists all over Canada, and the top three provinces that are in high need of receptionists are Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia. The total number of currently available job openings across the country is more than 600. As you begin your career as a receptionist, it is very important that you gain the appropriate certification needed to work as a receptionist (check the province you want to work in and their necessary certificates for receptionists).
Receptionists are individuals that greet people upon their arrival at an organization, be it a hospital, hotel, etc., and direct visitors to the appropriate part of the building they intend to go to. They are employed by hospitals, medical and dental offices, the hospitality industry, and other offices throughout the private and public sectors.
Responsibilities of a Receptionist
- Greet and direct people coming into an establishment.
- Answer and forward telephone calls.
- Take Messages
- Schedule appointment
- Provide general information and directions to visitors.
- Record and relay information
Every job has specific requirements attached to it, and those of a receptionist are different from those of other employment positions. The requirements for getting a job as a receptionist are;
- Applicants should have experience in the same or other related occupations.
- Applicants must be ready to learn, as on-the-job training may be provided.
- Applicants should have the licence and certification to practise as receptionists in Canada.
- The applicant must have a high school diploma or a related certificate.
- Applicants must be polite and punctual.
- The applicant must be able to effectively operate a telephone system or switchboard.
- Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
The average salary for a receptionist in Canada is between $13 and $25 per hour, depending on the province you work in. Nunavut is the province that pays the highest salary rate, while New Brunswick is the province that pays the lowest salary rate for the job of a receptionist.
Click here to apply for a receptionist job in Canada