After being revealed at WWDC 2022, Apple’s iOS 16 is now in the developer beta phase. The next mobile operating system from the iPhone maker is only available to Apple Developer Program members, but you may download it right now if you want.
Among the new iOS 16 features announced so far are a redesigned lock screen for the iPhone, the ability to unsend or edit text messages and improvements to Apple Maps. And while the upgrade isn’t slated for general release until September, we’ll walk you through how to get your hands on iOS 16 right now — even before it enters its public beta phase.
Although downloading and installing iOS 16 is simple, keep in mind that this prerelease isn’t meant for general usage, especially because, like all developer beta releases, iOS 16 may have unfinished functionality. Developers will benefit from these early beta releases; which will help them keep their apps up to date while also giving them early access to new features.
Note: Before installing the update, make a backup of your data.
Connect your iPhone to your Mac or MacBook via a charging cable > open Finder > select your iPhone in the sidebar on the left > select the option to backup your iPhone to your computer.)
How to download the beta version of iOS 16.
- Disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
- Sign up to Apple Beta Software Program for the link.
- Sign in with your Apple ID, follow the on-screen instructions; and agree to the Apple Beta Software Program’s terms and conditions.
- Once approved, open Safari and select “enroll your iOS device.”
- Select the “Download profile” button on the following page and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Open your iPhone’s Settings app.
- The beta software will be found under the Software Update section when you select General.
- Select “Download and Install.”
The drawback is that you’ll have to pay $99 per year for an Apple Developer membership. You can also wait for the public beta of iOS 16; which Apple will release before the final version of the software is released, if not for the complete release.